“Through YPF, I realized that philanthropy is vital to any community's economy. YPF Member”
NCCF launched the Young Philanthropists Fund in 2007. The Fund is governed by a Steering Committee of high-school-aged residents. Participation in the committee is an opportunity for these students to experience a grant-making process and to fund programs that address community needs. Students on the committee explore philanthropy, nonprofit organizations and community leadership.
One of the program's goals is to bring together a group of students who are committed to making our community a better place to live and who are interested in the many aspects of philanthropy. Developing philanthropic understanding, values and skills at this age can have far-reaching impact as these young adults mature into community leaders. Additionally, the participants will learn how financial contributions to a nonprofit organization make an impact and how funders evaluate which organization to support, and how agencies seek funds to support their work. They will also review grant requests and make decisions about funding local nonprofit organizations
The YPF Steering Committee has monthly evening meetings during the school year, for an hour and a half.
The size of the Steering Committee is limited. Members represent public and private schools in New Canaan, and include boys and girls, as well as students from each grade in high school.
On the Steering Committee, members will:
- Learn about philanthropy, charitable foundations and other types of funding, the importance of funding to organizations, local nonprofits serving our community and how to review a grant application.
- Help send out requests for proposals to nonprofit organizations, asking them to submit a request for funding for a program that addresses an important community need.
- Review each grant application, decide which programs sound like they would benefit the community the most, and divide up the available grant money (easier said than done!!).
- Present their grant recommendations to the Community Foundation Board of Directors for approval.
- Raise contributions for the Young Philanthropists Fund to keep the fund growing for the years to come and to meet future needs of our community.
- Make a commitment to attend the YPF monthly meetings.
The YPF Steering Committee begins their meetings in September. Interested students need to fill out the YPF Participation Form and return it to the New Canaan Community Foundation, YPF, 111 Cherry Street New Canaan, CT 06840. We do not accept new applications once the YPF meetings have begun in late September. Please contact the office with any questions at 203-966-0231.